Tuesday, February 9, 2010

#20 Explore YouTube

At YouTube I entered 'Sacramento History'. There are a lot of choices. I picked 'Green Glory: The Early History of Sacramento Trees'. The video is also available to watch while in the Sacramento Room at the Central Branch of The Sacramento Public Library.





I chose the video because I love trees and because I love the old days and because I love Sacramento. Another reason I chose it is because it is 7:53 long. Most videos are shorter and end too soon for me.





The YouTube site is easy to navigate. A selection of videos came up immediately. There are several pages of links regarding Sacramento History. One video is about low riders. There are many videos about Sacramento History by a former Sacramento City Historian.





One of the things I like about YouTube is there are a lot of graphics on the home page, but the graphics do not clutter the page. What I do not like is that the photographs on the page seem gaudy, juvenile, and sensational.





SPL can use some of the features on our site that YouTube has. One is a video to click and watch regarding the library. Possibilities are a tour of Central or a trip to each of the twenty-seven branches with photographs of the landscaping and the outside and inside of the branch. Something else we can do is to have a link that states what downloadable DVD's from our website are being watched now.

1 comment:

  1. Good ideas about using videos on our web site. Some people ("Hapalibrarian", to name one,)has already created a tutorial about creating a "saved search" in the library catalog that will notify you when new books are added that meed your search terms. I think we'll be seeing more of that soon.

    ReplyDelete